History

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ZAfuzzy ZAfuzzy 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ZAfuzzy
    ZAfuzzy
    Participant

Let’s talk about the most boring thing for most, history

Did you know that the Afrikaans language was originated from Dutch?

Koos De La Rey was a general in the South African army before world war, long story short, he had very good war strategies, he was widely regarded as being one of the strongest military leaders during the Second Boer war conflict

His wife actually wrote a book, Jacoba Elizabeth Greeff when Afrikaans was actually still in development, the book name was

Mijne omzwervingen en beproevingen gedurende den oorlog (referring to the Boere war)

Which translates to A Woman’s Wanderings and Trials During the Anglo-Boer War

Bullets-for-fee
    Participant

LOl !!! “Mijne omzwervingen en beproevingen gedurende den oorlog” is old Dutch/Vlaamsh
    Anyway… i dont want to be patronising but because its involving dutch ppl i cant let it alone (me as a belgian) but wouldent most military officers have an advantige and achieve great victorie(s) in a peasant war? Exept the French knight armies the failed 2ce agains the Flamish peasants in the Guldensporenslag https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Golden_Spurs

And on this deatour we end up on a second feat in heastory.. try and beat my nice ented story on that of Drikus.

Btw the reason why i dont type I but i in my lines is because im leazy… XD

ZAfuzzy
    ZAfuzzy
    Participant

Afrikaans was still in development, mmmkay? They took some years to make the Dutch/ Flemish language a bit more advance I guess you could say, or a bit more basic – Afrikaans

Anyway, De La Rey killed so many Brits that the Brits decided the only way to defeat De La Rey and his forces is killing the woman and children, so they threw them in concentration camps, killing 50% of the population

De La Rey and the Afrikaners realized that there will be nothing left to fight for if they keep fighting, so they had to make piece with the Brits, not because they wanted to, but they had to

In other words, if De La Rey continued to wipe out the Brits, only soldiers would remain in South Africa and there would of not been a South Africa, only Africa

Bullets-for-fee
    Participant

So de la rey (french roots i guess looking at the name) was not able to defend his civillians?
    why was that? was the area to defend so big and the populations and villages so small and wide spread?

ZAfuzzy
    ZAfuzzy
    Participant

Mostly wide spread, not sure of his origins, but most likely French, my family tree roots back to France and Germany (goodness…)

Yes very wide spread, South Africans were still trying to settle in and make something of nothing so the Brits took advantage of it, we did not have the numbers to go on the offensive and defensive, but I guess that South Africans back then did not think that the Brits will go capture the woman and children

South Africans were never able to work together, if you look at the voortrekkers, this one moved to the Freestate, this one to Kwazulu Natal and this one to Gauteng, all splitting up into group of people

• Author
    ZAfuzzy
    ZAfuzzy
    Participant

Let’s talk about the most boring thing for most, history

Did you know that the Afrikaans language was originated from Dutch?

Koos De La Rey was a general in the South African army before world war, long story short, he had very good war strategies, he was widely regarded as being one of the strongest military leaders during the Second Boer war conflict

His wife actually wrote a book, Jacoba Elizabeth Greeff when Afrikaans was actually still in development, the book name was

Mijne omzwervingen en beproevingen gedurende den oorlog (referring to the Boere war)

Which translates to A Woman’s Wanderings and Trials During the Anglo-Boer War

Bullets-for-fee
    Participant

LOl !!! “Mijne omzwervingen en beproevingen gedurende den oorlog” is old Dutch/Vlaamsh
    Anyway… i dont want to be patronising but because its involving dutch ppl i cant let it alone (me as a belgian) but wouldent most military officers have an advantige and achieve great victorie(s) in a peasant war? Exept the French knight armies the failed 2ce agains the Flamish peasants in the Guldensporenslag https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Golden_Spurs

And on this deatour we end up on a second feat in heastory.. try and beat my nice ented story on that of Drikus.

Btw the reason why i dont type I but i in my lines is because im leazy… XD

ZAfuzzy
    ZAfuzzy
    Participant

Afrikaans was still in development, mmmkay? They took some years to make the Dutch/ Flemish language a bit more advance I guess you could say, or a bit more basic – Afrikaans

Anyway, De La Rey killed so many Brits that the Brits decided the only way to defeat De La Rey and his forces is killing the woman and children, so they threw them in concentration camps, killing 50% of the population

De La Rey and the Afrikaners realized that there will be nothing left to fight for if they keep fighting, so they had to make piece with the Brits, not because they wanted to, but they had to

In other words, if De La Rey continued to wipe out the Brits, only soldiers would remain in South Africa and there would of not been a South Africa, only Africa

Bullets-for-fee
    Participant

So de la rey (french roots i guess looking at the name) was not able to defend his civillians?
    why was that? was the area to defend so big and the populations and villages so small and wide spread?

ZAfuzzy
    ZAfuzzy
    Participant

Mostly wide spread, not sure of his origins, but most likely French, my family tree roots back to France and Germany (goodness…)

Yes very wide spread, South Africans were still trying to settle in and make something of nothing so the Brits took advantage of it, we did not have the numbers to go on the offensive and defensive, but I guess that South Africans back then did not think that the Brits will go capture the woman and children

South Africans were never able to work together, if you look at the voortrekkers, this one moved to the Freestate, this one to Kwazulu Natal and this one to Gauteng, all splitting up into group of people

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.